The contest statements
1. General statements
1.1. The Kharkov contest for the Best master’s thesis in Optics@Photonics field is carried out by three youth student's optical organizations: OSA-SPIE IRE Student Chapter, OSA-SPIE V. Karazin National University Student Chapter, IEEE LEOS Student Chapter (further organizers) and young scientists councils of KhNURE, IRE NASU, ILTPE NASU, KhNU.
1.2. The basic purpose of the contest is reward of the most active young graduates of the Kharkov high schools to work in Optics@Photonics field: optoelectronics, fiber optics, photonics, magnetooptics, nonlinear optics, optical materials, optics in medicine and biology, optical spectroscopy, radiospectroscopy.
1.3. The primary goals of the contest are:
- Increasing of students’ interest to studying optics@photonics problems;
- Stimulation of desire and readiness of youth to take part in scientific optical researches.
1.4 The basic advantages to participants of the contest:
- Letters of commendation and the awards to winners (1 – award at the rate of two student’s scholarship, two 2-nd awards at the rate of the student’s scholarship);
- The publication of abstracts of theses in the proceedings of 1-st All-Ukrainian Young Scientist Conference 2008 on "Low Temperature Physics” in Session on "Optics @ Photonics”;
- Free-participation in the conference (conference fee will be paid by organizers);
- Incentive prizes;
- Training before the defense of a thesis.
1.5 The direct management of preparation and carrying out of contest are carried out by organizing committee. The organizing committee consists of two representatives from every organizer and jury of contest which includes not less than three scientists (candidates of science) who are connected to scientific and educational activity in Optics@Photonics field.
1.6 The processing of contest works and the applications, submitted on contest, and definition of winners is carried out by organizing committee.
2. The conditions of the permission to participation in the contest
All interested persons from the students of Kharkov Institutes of higher education, which write thesis of the level of the bachelor, master or the specialist, are admitted to participation in the contest.
3. The organization and carrying out of contest
3.1 The contest is carried out from February 1 till May 23, 2008.
3.2 From February 1 till April 8, 2008 the applicant should submit the following documents on e-mail of organizing committee ( email@example.com
- The abstract of thesis in Ukrainian (or Russian)
- The abstract of thesis in English
- The application form (CV) in Ukrainian (or Russian)
3.3 The rules of formatting of these documents in corresponding files BD_abstract_en.doc, BD_abstract_ukr.doc, BD_CV.doc (accessible on www.ireosa.org
, photonics.kture.kharkov.ua/leos/index.html , yscouncil.kture.kharkov.ua , www-radiophys.univer.kharkov.ua/theor/OSA/index.html ).
3.4 The organizing committee preserves the right to itself to demand additional documents.
3.5 The submission and registration of applicants’ documents give the applicants the status of participants of the contest.
3.6 In April 20, 2008 it will be the decision of jury of the contest concerning the participation of the contestants in the final part of the contest which will be carried out in the frameworks of 1-st All-Ukrainian Young Scientist Conference 2008 on "Low Temperature Physics” which will take place on the basis of Institute for Low Temperature Physics and Engineering of the National Academy of Sciencies of Ukraine in May, 20-23, 2008. The opportunity to take part in conference and to report the materials on thesis will be given to applicants to victory. Winners of the contest will be determined subject to a level of the thesis presentation. IMPORTANT: for participation in the final part of the contest the applicants should refer the expert’s certificate with stamp on the publication of thesis materials in press to organizing committee.
3.7 Abstracts of theses of contestants-finalists will be published in the conference proceedings.
4. Criterions of assessment of contest works, definition and rewarding of winners.
4.1. The basic criterions of assessment of the degree of the works submitted on the contest:
1) Degree of novelty and urgency of the subject of research;
2) Volume and theoretical-experimental level of performance of work;
3) Scientific and practical importance of the obtained results;
4) Presence of publications on subject of the work.
4.2. The contest is carried out on OPTICS@PHOTONICS field. The works on the adjacent scientific fields can be accepted to consideration under the decision of the organizing committee. If the contest work does not answer the indicated direction, the decision concerning the rejection of work is accepted by the organizing committee.
4.3 Winners of the contest are chosen by the jury, which includes not less than three scientists (candidates of science) who are connected to scientific and educational activity in Optics@Photonics field.
4.4 The reports of contestants will be heard at session "Optics and Photonics” within the framework of 1-st All-Ukrainian Young Scientist Conference 2008 on "Low Temperature Physics”.
4.5 Winners of the contest will receive the awards and the diplomas of the winner of the Kharkov contest for the Best master’s thesis in Optics@Photonics field signed by Presidents of the youth optical organizations.
4.4 Expenses for carrying out of competition, awards and prizes for winners are taken upon the organizers.